Monday, August 31, 2009

Epic Conclusion

And finally, the stunning conclusion to the epic saga that is the Vogue Suit! I had written a conclusion entry in real-time, but due to a computer error it was lost. I'll just use this as a photo gallery now instead.

Once I finished construction, it took me a number of days to actually complete the suit. I washed it once (in the washing machine! what?) But no bleeding since then. Unfortunately the dye that has already bled onto my sewing machine and hands (and then transferred to light switches, the iron, ironing board, the refrigerator, my bathroom towels) seems to be permanent. Ha. ha. ha.

And the final results!!!

The task that took me the longest to complete was the sewing on of the hooks & eyes. Once I had completed the suit, I discovered that I did not have enough hooks & eyes to complete the entire front closure, and again, I was lazy about getting to the store. Days later I finally I sewed them on, but I might still remove them and sew on snaps instead. The suit is not as tight as a corset, and thus the hooks & eyes easily come undone during normal body movement. This probably would not have been a problem if I had used hook & eye tape as the pattern called for. But! There was no hook & eye tape to be found at the first store I went to, and the second store only had it in white (no thanks!).

Someday I'll replace the hooks & eyes with snaps. I also don't like the fact that you can see them from the front

Sigh. I'll probably get around to that in the next year or so. In the meantime I'll just have to make sure I wear a shirt underneath at all times, unlike how the jacket is shown in the pattern. And for good measure, here's a close-up of the jacket. Soo pretty!

When I was finished constructing the epic-in-and-of-itself jacket, I realized I still needed to finish the pants. Now let's go a little bit farther back on the pants saga...

Back in the Spring of 2007, after pulling an all-nighter on a final presentation for one of my Mech. E classes, I was offered tickets to go see the Scissor Sisters, one of my favorite bands. At the show I fell in LOVE with the pants the lead guitarist was wearing, as you can see here:
The pants in question are on the gentleman on the far right. The ones I actually saw were brown with pink buttons to match that pink shirt, but you get the idea. I wasn't sure if these pants would look any good on me, but when I found the Vogue pattern I showed here, I was determined to give it a shot.

And voila!
Plenty of sass, if I do say so myself. Maybe I should add suspenders and a pink shirt with a tie if I want to really accomplish the look...

Here's another picture just for fun:

Finally.
The End.
And I've still got about 6 yards left of the pink pinstripe fabric for whatever else I might desire :D

No comments:

Post a Comment