Saturday, February 9, 2013

White Coat Ceremony Dress

A White Coat Ceremony is an event put on for new medical students as a sort of "pre-induction" into the medical profession. Speeches are heard, the oath of a student physician is administered, and the short white coats worn by medical students are donned while our families look on and applaud.


During the weeks leading up to the ceremony, the one big question going through my mind was "WHAT AM I GOING TO WEAR UNDERNEATH TO COMPLIMENT MY WHITE COAT?" It was a perfect opportunity to flex my designer's muscles in an effort to achieve the perfect blend of unique, professional, chic, flattering, along with something that screams "ME!"

I was highly pleased with how the dress I made for the first day of school turned out.  Since the pattern I used had many different options, I figured I'd try out another one for this event. For the last dress, I had used a V-neck and 3/4 length sleeves. This time I thought I'd opt for the mock-turtleneck and cap sleeves. (Note to self: try that cowl-neck for the next dress!)


While going through my fabric supply, I found the perfect one. My school's seal has 2 shades of blue as well as a bright yellow in it. I found a cheerful yellow fabric that I just had to use. Funny thing, it had been sitting in a drawer for 10 years! I purchased it while I was living in Japan and made a pair of very cute trousers. I don't know what happened to those (lost in one of the 10 moves I've done since then, likely), but I had the rest of the fabric!

One problem: there looked like there wouldn't be enough. Ugh.


But with a little spatial creativity, I managed to cut all of the pieces out that I needed. The scraps I had remaining attest to just how close I cut it. And I got quite lucky, considering how weird the cross-hatching stripes would look if I didn't have them in the right direction. 


It was a couple weeks before I finished constructing the dress. Med school is not exactly easy, after all. The afternoon before the ceremony, I had the dress built.


But something was missing -- I needed some extra pizazz. So I put the rest of my to-do list on hold, ran across town to Michaels, and grabbed whatever I thought might add a little flair. After a few different options were tried, I ended up with some asymmetrical detailing including a belt, a ribbon on the shoulder, and a few oversized, fabric-covered buttons. The green conveniently matches both the stripes on the fabric, and my lovely green eyes


Here I am on stage, with one of our professors helping me to put on my white coat. 


And here's the reception afterwards, where I am enjoying the celebration with my dear grandmother Shirley, who flew up to Portland just to see me!


And look -- see what I mean about the yellow matching the color on our school seal? It really does tie it together well if I do say so myself. Very well done, Holly, very well done. 

No comments:

Post a Comment