Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Christmas Snowflakes

I just realized that I forgot to post this project!

Goodness me, how absent-minded. Well, I'm sure that plenty of people across the country have yet to take down their Christmas decorations, so surely this won't be so egregiously untimely as I can simply claim similar intentions.

Growing up with a rather creative mother who crochets, I remember having numerous crocheted lace snowflakes adorning our Christmas tree that we delicately wrapped in tissue (actual facial tissue, haha). They were always part of our ornament stash, so I never wondered where they came from. It wasn't for years that I actually realized my mother had made them herself!

So it was natural for me that during my very first year of learning to crochet lace that I make a few snowflakes that very Christmas. It turned out they make very good gifts!

I just *happened* to have some 30 gauge thread (the thinnest crochet thread readily available) in white lying around from one of my (cough) secret (cough) projects in progress, so I picked out my favorite snowflake pattern and whipped up 3 or 4 in a matter of days.

Before they're blocked they look like funny blobs:


I've been using a sheet of craft foam that I sit on top of my ironing board to block each of my items, but unfortunately it doesn't give very good contrast for the white snowflakes. I played with the contrast settings on this photo, but don't strain your eyes too much trying to see them.


I had some leftover silk ribbon a friend had given me that was extra from a college project of hers. I never knew what I was going to do with it, but it came in quite handy as a bow-tie for the snowflakes! Here you can see the finished product hanging above my fireplace (fireplace not pictured -- just trust me on it).


My output of snowflakes was severely limited by the fact that I left for the rig a good week before Christmas day. Let me know next year if you want a snowflake for Christmas, and I'll be sure to include one in your Christmas card!

No comments:

Post a Comment